Wednesday, September 30, 2009

When faced with a crisis






When you are a mom you are often faced with many crisis's. What happens when you are out and you just used the last diaper and then your toddler decides to poop? How do you get purple marker off of your toddlers skin because she decided to color all over her body while your in laws were supposed to be watching her? The list is endless and as I become more experienced in motherhood I am finding that I am in fact an inventive, smart, dare I say Maguiver like woman.


Well today I was faced with a new crisis, one that almost gave me a heart attack and will surely give me nightmares for days to come. While Stella was taking a nap this afternoon I went downstairs to change over the laundry (this story is now my official excuse of why I will never do laundry again). As I was walking through the finished part where we have some of Stella's toys, out of the corner of my eye I saw something move. I started praying that what I saw was not some type of rodent, I didn't want to look, but whatever moved just moved towards my baby's toys and I did not want her to be the one to find whatever it was. So I slowly walked towards the toys and I saw it run, a grey little four legged creature into the corner of the basement, behind the bin of toys. I immediately did what any brave woman would do, I ran upstairs and called Dan figuring he would be able to fix the problem. "You need to catch it" he said. "NO! THERE IS NO WAY I CAN CATCH IT!" I replied. "OK then drive to Walgreen's and get a mouse trap" he said. "Stella's sleeping, I can't" I told him. "Well I don't know what to tell you then" he replied. "OK" I said, "I am going to put on my Uggs and go down there". So I got on my protective footwear, grabbed one of Stella's sand buckets and crept back down stairs. When I reached the bottom step I saw it dart across the room again and I screamed. I then started moving everything away from the area one by one until I was left with one bin of toys. I slide it away from the wall and saw the beast. The beast actually turned out to be a super cute little grey fat mouse. Actually, if we had met on different terms like perhaps he was in a cage at a pet store instead of running free amongst my kids toys I could have loved him and brought him home as a pet. That was not the case so I prepared the bucket and moved towards my new little friend and as he ran away from me I trapped him under the bucket. Its the proudest I have ever been of myself apart from the time I birthed another human being. I then placed one of Stella's toys on top the bucket to make sure that little mouse couldn't flip it over or something. I left it there for Dan to get when he got home and then when back upstairs. I then placed a towel in front of the door in case for any reason the mouse did get out from underneath my trap and tried to travel upstairs into the lived in part of the house. Feel free to take any of these tips if you are ever faced with a mouse problem. When Dan got home he took our new little friend outside and freed him even though he said "he's just going to get eaten by something" to which I replied "we don't know that and we need to give him a chance at life." He showed Stella who was very excited, so excited in fact that she keeps telling me she wants to go "down in the basement to see the mouse." Super.

No comments:

Post a Comment